Wednesday 20 May 2015

Circumnavigating Killarneys lakes

Today inpreparation for cycling the 180km ring of Kerry in the coming months I decided to head through the Macgillycuddy's reeks and onto the National Park.
After leaving the house the first port of call was the Gap of Dunloe, a glacial valley characterized by some expansive interlocking spurs. There are three lakes up the gap but I encountered no interesting wildlife while passing through. The valley is a popular spot for tourists and lies near the western boundary of Killarney National Park.
Today was sunny and the gap became a giant steam room as I cycled upwards onto the crest of the valleys main ridge, only grinding to a halt at one time. I only took a handful of images in the gap as I opted for speed of up to some 47km as I descended into the Black Valley.
Within the Gap of Dunloe.

It didn't take long for me to reach the park after leaving the gap and I was soon along the shores of the Upper Lake which is nestled within the regions mountains.
It's an area I haven't visited in about three years and is also not frequented by tourists as often as other parts of the park.  The lake is inundated by a series of islands covered by native flora.
The track was not suitable for cycling at times but that suited me as I stopped on numerous occasions to take photos.

After leaving the open, flat ground adjacent to the lake I came into the areas oak woods which were on higher ground over a series of small hills.
Derrycunnighy beckoned next where I stopped to have a look at a little-known waterfall just off the path.

Next stop was the main Kenmare road that would bring me back to Killarney which was still within the park but provided me with a better surface to cycle on.
Approaching Eagles Nest mountain a very small mammal scurried across the road in front of me with something in its mouth. I applied the back brake duly and it gave out a screech which startled the Stoat causing it to release its prey and hop over the wall it was heading towards, its prey ran for cover next to the wall. I stayed around for a few minutes to see if I could get a half decent shot of the Stoat that was hanging around with the ipod.
The Stoat let out the occasional concerned call as it bound back and forth on the opposite side of the wall while I was near his prey so I moved away and it returned to move in to dispatch its prey which was a young rabbit that screamed for about a minute as the Stoat killed it, I then moved on to leave the Stoat be with its food, this sighting was the best I've ever had of a mammal you can't plan on encountering.
A heavily cropped image showing the Stoat before it moved in for the kill.

Next brief stop on the cycle was at the smallest of the Killarney lakes, Muckross and then onto Lough Leane and then back to Killarney itself.
All in all it was a decent day but I should have brought the proper camera with me as the Stoat came within FEET of me but theres always next time.

Here are some more images from the cycle.
The Upper lake.
The Upper lake again.
.

.
An Oak canopy.
.
A panoramic of the Upper lake.
.
Moss covered rocks.
.
The dead and living!
.
The native white flowering of the Hawthorn and pink of the introduced rhododendron.
.






.
The mountain side burned recently, now recovering.
.
Some "artwork".
,


.
The Upper lake.

,
The original Stoat shot, see if you can spot it!
,
Muckross lake.
,
Heeding the nearby signs message....
,
Flowering invasive rhododendron.
,
Bluebells
,

,
And finally Lough Leane, Killarney's largest lake.









.



No comments:

Post a Comment